top of page
  • Writer's pictureBrandi & Candace

Morgan Park

Updated: Mar 5, 2021

Morgan Park has a basketball court, a playground, a multipurpose field, an a community center, cumulating into a little more than 6.5 acres, in a park that was founded in 1910. It was originally a German beer garden owned by Frederick Laitenberger, in a poorer, working class neighborhood.

The Nashville Parks Board purchased the property in 1909, and named it after Samuel Dodd Morgan, who’d passed away in 1880. Samuel Dodd Morgan had founded multiple textile mills around middle Tennessee and was highly regarded as a blue collar hero, having provided literally hundreds of jobs to Tennesseans.

There was a well drilled on the property in 1889, and the Parks Board allowed it to be utilized to the public for free. Many Nashvillians believed the sulphuric mineral water to have superstitious youthful properties. The spring was shut off in 1994, as the more studies came out showing sulfur water isn’t good for you, and the city of Nashville began to worry about liabilities.

The community center was completed in 1984. In 2005, $200,000 was pumped into the park, which including the paved walking paths, the playground, and botanical improvements. It has hosted events like the Tour de Nash biking, the Capitol District Street Fair, and the Cherry Blossom Walk.

Name: Morgan Park

Address: 411 Hume St, 37208

History: 5 out of 5

Walkability: 3 out of 5

Kid Like-ability- 3 out of 5

Date Night-ability- 2 out of 5

Charm: 3 out of 5

85 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page